802.11a/b/g Dual Band Intelligent Module
The SX-550 is a powerful 802.11a/b/g wireless or 100base-T/10base-T wired embedded module with major competitive advantages like:
- Affordable solution improves time to market
- Ethernet to wireless bridge function
- Industry-leading security including WPA, WPA2, and WEP, plus 802.1x authentication
The advantages of wireless networking are obvious. But as an OEM device manufacturer, how can you easily and securely implement wireless capabilities in your devices? The solution is the silex SX-550 Module, the first embedded networking solution that supports all of the major wireless networking standards – 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g – as well as 100Base-T and 10Base-T wired Ethernet. The SX-550 provides the most extensive network security capabilities in the industry, so it can be used in virtually any application or environment that requires wireless communications. The SX-550 increases your bottom line by reducing your time to market, making your products more competitive, and lessening the need for in-house wireless expertise. It enables you to easily add wired or wireless network connectivity to your devices with such features as:
- Two serial ports. The SX-550 provides two serial ports that can be to connect to RS-232, UART, or SPI interfaces in your device. These ports operate at speeds up to 921Kbps with full modem controls.
- Ethernet and wireless versions. The SX-550 is available in models with wired Ethernet only, or with both Ethernet and 802.11a/b/g wireless capabilities. The two models are program compatible, so you do not need to develop separate software in order to support both.
- 10 general purpose input/output (GPIO) signals. The GPIOs can be used for custom applications like driving LEDs and sensing switches, or for modem signals in conjunction with the serial ports.
- Serial Port emulation software. The SX-550 includes software that emulates a standard Windows COM port (for example, COM3). This allows you to use your existing Windows-based applications without any changes.
- Ethernet bridge mode. The SX-550 can be configured as a transparent bridge between Ethernet and 802.11a/b/g. This allows an Ethernet- enabled device to communicate wirelessly with modifications required to your existing software. •Power management. The SX-550 consumes very little power during inactive periods, making it ideal for battery powered applications.
- Antenna diversity. The SX-550 has two U.FL antenna connectors for improved quality of transmission and reception. Easy to use. The SX-550 features a compact form factor with through-holes for flexible mounting options. A 40-pin connector header for the serial and GPIO signals simplifies the hardware interface to your device.
An available developer's kit provides the required hardware, software tools and documentation for OEM customers to easily integrate the SX-550 module in their equipment. The developer’s kit includes value-added programmable features, such as APIs for custom SNMP and Email notification on the network. For example, you can use the available GPIOs to eliminate the need for an additional processor and therefore to reduce cost.
T he SX-550 includes enterprise-level security features including access control lists, complete protocol and application enable/disable control, read and write configuration passwords, and SNMP community name configuration. The wireless models also add 802.1x Extensible AuthenticationProtocol (EAP) with Tunneled Transport Layer Security (TTLS) or Lightweight Extensible Authentication Protocol (LEAP); Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol (PEAP); Open System or Shared Key support with Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) encoding; WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) Personal (WPA-PSK) and Enterprise modes, which utilize improved encryption via theTemporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP); and WPA2, which adds Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).
Easy to Manage
The SX-550 is easy to configure and offers several options for management. In addition to a built-in web browser interface, Silex provides ExtendView, a Windows utility for bulk configuration and management. A console accessible via TELNET or the UART is available for more sophisticated diagnostics and configuration. The SX-550 is also compatible with the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) for compatibility with most popular network management systems. In addition to supporting SNMP MIB's I & II, Silex has a proprietary MIB for providing complete customization and monitoring. The SX-550 firmware is stored in flash memory, which means it can be easily updated.
||49.13 x 59.59 x 14.3 mm (1.75 x 2.346 x 0.563 inches)|
||0° to 50° C|
|Storage Temperature||-40° to 85° C
|Maximum Temperature Change Per Hour
|Relative Humidity, Operating
||10% to 90% non-condensing
|Relative Humidity, Storage
||10% to 90% non-condensing
3.1km (operating);9km (storage)
||UART (RS232C) x 2 ports; up to 921Kbps
|Ethernet Interface (wired models)||10Base-T and 100Base-T (autosensing)|
|Wireless Interface||802.11a/b/g; 54, 48, 36, 24, 18, 11, 9, 6, 5.5, 2, and 1 Mbps; 2.4GHz ISM band|
||3.3VDC (supplied through 40-pin OEM header)|
|Power consumption||900mA max transmit (WLAN mode); 628mA max transmit (Ethernet mode); 294mA idle|
|Supported Protocols||ARP, TCP, Telnet, ICMP, SNMP, DHCP, BOOTP, Auto IP, HTTP, SMTP, TFTP, SLP, DNS, Dynamic DNS|
|Management and Utilities
||Serial Port Emulator, ExtendView (GUI), Web Browser Interface, Command Line Console (accessible via serial port or TELNET), SNMP MIB I and II, Firmware Download via TCP/IP (master or slave mode TFTP, BOOTP with multiple server download), On-Line HELP
||WPA and WPA2 (personal and enterprise modes), PAP, MS-CHAPv2, 802.1x EAP with TLS/TTLS/ LEAP/PEAP/FAST, WEP|